Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Looking For A Deal.

The number one question I get these days is "What are you doing nowadays?". If I'm feeling comedic, I stare at my shoes and answer "I'm unemployed". Nobody ever accepts that answer, and that's when I have to recite my resume (click on the "about" link in the left column).



Truth is, I've been offered a lot of opportunities over the last 8 months - from advisory board positions to consulting gigs to full-time jobs. About 50% of the companies looking for my expertise are also looking for a substantial investment. (That's in addition to the companies that are simply seeking investments alone.) While I've had the chance to speak to many credible entrepreneurs about their ventures, I still haven't found the perfect fit yet.



So, the serious answer to the original question posed is that I'm doing a few things:



  • dedicating more time to my family


  • working with my favorite charities


  • speaking at various events on my experiences at iStockphoto


  • researching my own "stealth" projects


  • discovering new opportunities


So far, there's been no shortage of deals and opportunities to review. However, there's always room for more. Ideally, I'd love to work on a few small ventures with super smart people. Something where a modest group of employees can change the world, like Craig's List. And even though I have an MBA, I love Paul Graham's approach of not asking for a business plan, instead asking for critical questions to be answered.



That's a rough idea of what I'd like to work on. Want to collaborate? Send me an email [pat (at) lor.vc] with your plan/proposal, or better yet, with answers to some of Paul Graham's critical questions. If we decide to meet, coffee/lunch is on me!



No comments:

Post a Comment