It's been a fantastic summer, as indicated by my utter lack of attention to this blog. But it hasn't been all fun and games - I've been busy working with all the companies I advise, and connecting with a long list of new ventures also. If you're on that list and I've responded yet (I'm not intentionally ignoring you!) let's try to connect at DemoCamp3.
For those of you who aren't familiar with the concept, BarCamps & DemoCamps are open, community-organized events that are focused on technology. Think open source for conferences, because it's free, and depends heavily on the contribution of the community. BarCamps are full-day events, while DemoCamps contain 4 presentations in less than 1 hour, followed by a meetup at the local watering hole.
The Calgary BarCamp/DemoCamp organizing team met a few weeks ago, and we had a great discussion on how to gather up a group of entrepreneurs, aspiring and otherwise. We talked about the ethos of BarCamp - an open, learning environment where PowerPoint is shunned, and diving deep on topics and issues such as technology, DRM, and intellectual property rights is alright. We're more interested in hearing passionate discussions regarding great products and services than we are in hearing about exit strategies.
We're also organizing a BarCamp for later this year, and working the back channels to bring in some special guests for our inaugural event - more news to come as this develops.
For now, I invite you to sign up for the upcoming DemoCamp, either as a presenter or attendee. Also, join the Facebook Group, and chances are, you'll find someone that you want to meet or connect with at the event.
No comments:
Post a Comment