Wednesday, May 9, 2007

STIRR 2.5 Report

I just attended the STIRR Founder's Mixer 2.5 last night, and have to say that I was thoroughly impressed. STIRR co-founder Sanford Barr's goal was to create an environment for entrepreneurs where valuable conversations could take place. Invariably, the other tech associations they participated in tended to fade as time passed, because newer members were so different from the original members.



With STIRR, Sanford's team wanted to make 5 out of 6 conversations relevant. A few of the people I met in the crowd:



  • Aaron Peckham, of UrbanDictionary.com - very cool guy. He's had outstanding success with his current book, named (what else?) Urban Dictionary. Watch out for his second book by the end of the year.


  • Also spoke with Kyle and Michael from Justin.tv, who announced that they are rolling out "lifecasting" for everyone, within the next 3 - 4 weeks. And by everyone, I mean anyone who can go to their website and sign up for an account. From there, you'll get a free account to broadcast your life. Crowdsourced lifecasting - talk about creating a long tail of content!


  • Nick Gonzalez was at the event, no doubt working the crowd for some juicy tidbits to post on TechCrunch. Nick is working overtime, as activity in the Valley has really been amazing over the last year or so.


  • Sanford Barr, who also told the crowd that he will be putting the finishing touches on the STIRR site and rolling it as a product, as well as rolling out the STIRR model across North America and across the world. I thanked Sanford for putting on such a great event, and asked for his suggestions on how Anand should demonstrate BumpTop in a 60 second no-computers-allowed pitch. Stay tuned - we might be pitching at the next STIRR!


No comments:

Post a Comment