Monday, April 9, 2007

Leaving Microsoft to Change the World

CoverI've got a pile of new books this weekend, received as gifts for my 40th b-day. My sister gave me a copy of Leaving Microsoft to Change the World, a book by Room to Read founder and former Microsoft exec John Wood. I did not expect to enjoy this book, for several reasons:

  • It was written by a former Microsoft exec.


  • My sister heard about the book from Oprah


  • I didn't need to read a preachy book about how some guy saw the light and decided to change the world.

Well, it's been about 3 hours since I picked up the book and I'm about one-third of the way through. I'm completely inspired and energized by John's message and writing style. I think there are several reasons why.



First of all, John is extremely well-read. As a child, his parents couldn't afford to buy him all the books he wanted to read, so they bought him a bike to ride to the library. He wanted to borrow more books than the library would allow, so he sweet-talked the librarian into relaxing the policy. He quotes everyone from communist leaders to dead dutch poets, and the quotes are so relevant and enjoyable that it will inspire you to read more books.



Second, John has some great Microsoft stories - from escorting Bill Gates through a press junket in China, to his job interview with Melinda Gates (Melinda French at the time). As to why he chose Nepal for the vacation that inspired this journey - Steve Ballmer had just "inspired" him to take a trip where nobody to contact him - "If you get high enough in the mountains, you can't hear Steve Ballmer yelling at you anymore."



Finally, I love John's entrepreneurial spirit and attitude. He's a guy that gets stuff done, no matter what. He got it done at Microsoft for years and years, and now he's getting it done with Room to Read. He realized that selling more copies of Windows made no difference in the world, but opening up libraries in developing countries would. And to convince people to donate, he never made them feel sorry for the recipients - instead, he made them feel good about building schools and libraries. He writes, "The Dalai Lama wrote that when we gave something away, we actually got something in return: happiness."



I love the cause and the message, love the writing style, and love the light-hearted pokes at Microsoft. I strongly encourage you pick up this book and donate to the cause.



No comments:

Post a Comment