Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Pitch Thyself

With all the talk about how to pitch your company, I find that many entrepreneurs have a hard time introducing themselves at meetings. Don't kid yourself - leaving a positive personal impression is just as important as delivering a good company pitch, because people ultimately want to feel comfortable with the people they work with.



I mentioned 15SecondPitch a while back, but thought that it was worth mentioning in detail this time. In her study, Laura Allen, CEO of 15 Second Pitch found that 76% of people surveyed were professionals who said they have trouble explaining what they do, and/or feel uncomfortable pitching themselves.



Laura has created a great 5 step process for developing a personal pitch. They've even written one for Superman, as an example:

My name is Superman and I am a superhero specializing in saving the
world. I fight for truth, justice, and the American Way. I can leap
tall buildings in a single bound, which comes in really handy when
chasing criminals. Unlike some other superheroes I could mention, I
don't wear a funny hat, so people take me more seriously. Call me for a
free consultation - I'm always near a phone booth ready to take your
call!

I think the challenge for most people will be to make their personal pitch sharp, but not full of generic buzzwords; proud, yet humble. And once you've perfected it, don't be afraid to practice your pitch!



1 comment:

  1. Patrick:
    Thank you for writing about 15SecondPitch! I've been going to a lot of networking events here in NYC recently and I agree with you, many entreprenuers have A LOT of trouble introducing themselves and their companies. I find that the people who keep their pitches very simple are the people who usually do pretty well. The ones who get overly fancy, lose people because no one wants to feel silly or like they don't understand what you are talking about. I like your advice here, keep it proud, yet humble. And most of all, keep it simple. No one can invest in your business or refer business to you, if they don't know EXACTLY what you do! :) laura

    ReplyDelete