I just got my Apple TV yesterday, after placing the pre-order 2 months ago. I know it's just a box that turns my TV into a computer monitor, but somehow, I'm very impressed. I immediately synced up some of my movies, video podcasts and image library to the box, and started navigating the interface. As with all Apple products, I didn't have to reach for the manuals - they remain in the original shrinkwrap. I expected nothing less than a great interface, but was still floored by how simple and elegant it was.
Then I got bored.
Why? Because I still want to watch television shows on my TV set. Canadians have surprisingly few alternatives when it comes to PVR devices. There's the devices that the cable companies offer - but they're closed boxes that don't allow for IP networking or file transfer. I could go with a Windows or Linux PVR, but then I'd have to maintain multiple OS's and file formats. What I need is a system that will unify my AppleTV with my cable/satellite system, PVR, Slingbox, and iTunes/video iPod set up.
I think Apple should support and encourage their fans and enthusiasts to come up with a solution if Apple isn't going to come up with one themselves. I've been a huge Apple Macintosh fan for the last 23 years, and I'll likely spend a significant amount of money in the next month on a non-Mac PVR. Hey, I know Apple is a busy company - how about crowdsourcing it?
Some people are already busy hacking Apple TV:
Apple TV running on a Macbook
Running xVID files on Apple TV
How about this then
ReplyDeletehttp://www.joostteam.com/2007/03/27/joost-successfully-run-on-apple-tv/
Ben