Sunday, March 4, 2007

Good Micromanagement?

Search for micromanager on Google, and you'll get about 134,000 results that all vilify micromanagement in one way or another. So, after reading all of this nasty press, you'll hear most managers say stuff like "I don't like to micromanage, I let my employees succeed or fail so that they can learn from their own experiences". However, a manager that is completely "hands-off" is just as bad, and maybe even worse, than the manager who is a constant micromanager. The "hands-off" manager is abdicating her leadership when she doesn't coach her employees to success.



Use the right tool for the right job. A good manager will assess the strengths and weaknesses of her employees, and act accordingly. It's obvious that most employees will want freedom in their areas of strength - and a good manager will allow this freedom, as long as good communications are maintained.



It's less obvious when employees actually want micromanagement. Not possible, you say? Have you ever had a situation that required some serious input from your manager, only to have her say "do what you think is best" after a 30-second briefing? This is certain to be de-motivating to most employees. And how does that  "hands-off" manager ever manage to complete your annual performance review?



I've always used a little bit of micromanagement in my management toolbox, and I think my employees have appreciated it. For example, I've monitored phone calls and offered critiques for our sales staff - and as part of the learning experience, they monitor some of my calls and offer me their critiques. (Bonus lesson: always look for opportunities to teach leadership and coaching skills) On certain projects, I'll offer to take one or two tasks, just so that I can interact with my employees, and understand how they work. After I've gained this understanding, I can get out of the way and be a better manager.



Don't do your employees' jobs for them, but do show that you're willing to roll up the sleeves and work with them. Don't second guess your employees, but do challenge them to develop more than one solution for complex problems. Most importantly, recognize that some of your employees will seek your mentorship, and in return, they will reward you handsomely with their loyalty and hard work.



No comments:

Post a Comment